Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

Our denomination (Open Bible Churches), doesn't observe Lent as far as I know. In fact, none of the three churches I've been a member of in my lifetime observe(d) Lent. My experience with it is mostly as a child when the Roman Catholic contingent within my family would be seen with this dark spot (ash from burnt palm fronds) on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday and then refrain from eating meat on Fridays. Though I was not raised Roman Catholic, the influence was there. Hence, I recall the many meatless dishes on those Fridays over the years. I even remember my great Aunt, who was really like my grandmother, scolding me because I happened to mention I had a roast beef grinder for lunch. No on purpose though. Unless she reminded me "there's no meat today", it's highly doubtful I would know. 

The problem is I don't recall being taught the spiritual meaning of these traditions. It was never explained to me that Lent was a forty-day span leading up to Resurrection Sunday where followers of Christ take time for spiritual preparation by giving up something and specifically reflecting and meditating on the ministry of Christ leading up to and including his death and resurrection. 

As a result of my experience as a child and young man, I came to think of Lent as a sort of empty tradition observed by Roman Catholics and a few other denominations. Now that I'm older and my perspective has changed, I'm beginning to see it differently. Sure, there are quite a few areas where I am at odds with the Catholic church, but I see no need to throw out the baby with the bath water. While the tradition itself is just that- a tradition, and not a biblically mandated practice, I do see the value in Lent.

In my opinion, far too many denominations (or even individual believers) observe holidays much like the world. Whether it's Christmas or Resurrection Sunday ( I don't care to call it Easter), everything pretty much happens on the day and possibly the day/night before. And that's it. There's little or no personal reflection or contemplation leading up to the day or following it. And I understand by saying "personal" it makes the responsibility to observe up to the individual. And I suppose that's where I am. Perhaps there is even something we can do with others in our congregation during this time, but there is no emphasis from denominational leadership on Lent. But that doesn't mean we can't make this season a rich and meaningful one in our individual relationships with Christ and each other.

Do you observe Lent? If so, how? I'm interested in learning of your experiences.




No comments: