Monday, July 20, 2009

"...it's the beat, the beat, the beat!"

When I was a teenager I remember hearing what may have been an excerpt from an interview, during which the male speaker, perhaps a very concerned father, is expressing his disdain for the music of Elvis Presley and its effect on the youth. He seems to reach the conclusion that the thing that hooks the youth into Presley's music is the beat. The man's emotionally charged allegations were mocked by those who dispelled his concerns as being loony, but from my experience and observations I'd have to say he was probably onto something.

I know this is kind of a touchy issue, so I'll try and tread lightly while keeping it brief. I know there have been studies done showing that listening to types certain music (particularly "dance" music) apparently triggers a release of endorphines into the bloodstream. Some critics from a Christian perspective claim this produces a sort of high or rush within the listener. My take is a simpler one. When you're listening to a certain type of music, even an individual song, where does it take you? Is it pulling you away from the Lord- despite what may be good lyrics? (By the way, I'm not suggesting we never listen to "secular" music.) Let's be honest here. You may be listening to someone quoting bible verses, but if the backdrop is more like the kind of thing you danced to in the clubs back in the day then it's likely not encouraging you toward Christ. In fact, the message is probably getting lost in the beat.

I'll tell you a little story. Several years ago I was riding in the car of a new friend/aquaintance who also said he was a follower of Christ. He also happened to be a musician. He said he wanted me to hear a certain recording he had in his car's CD player. It turned out to be some pretty vulgar stuff, and I was just unable to listen to it. When I questioned my friend as to why he would listen to such music he said he really didn't pay attention to the lyrics (!) and was only listening for the music and production values. I was flabbergasted!

To sum up, I believe everything we take in affects us. Scripture says we're to guard our hearts. So let's give thanks for and enjoy the freedom we have in Christ, but let's also use it with wisdom and discretion and not make provision for the flesh.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Hi, Mike, great post!!! One thing that comes strongly to mind is something that the late Derek Prince said about listening to music... he said that the beat and the music is very important to condsider, because a lot of the beats in modern rock music are the same ones that Africans use with their drums to call up demonic spirits! (Derek ministered in Africa for years early in his Christian life, and the Lord led him later into a very effective worldwide deliverance ministry - With Jesus as the actual Deliverer, of course!(Derek taught powerfully & effectively on a number of topics besides deliverance; most of the time he was teaching from the Bible and his own expreriences.) ~Shalom!

Mike Roots said...

Hi Rose,
I'm a bit familiar with Derek Prince though I hadn't heard his teaching on this topic. I find this is one of those issues where it's not black or white. Maybe it's more along the lines of abstaining from what causes one to sin. What one person can partake of may bless him but the same thing may have the opposite effect on another. As an example, there is guy named Sonny Okosuns from Nigeria who recorded a version of "Let It Be" by Lennon/McCartney where instead of singing "there will be an answer" he sings "there must be an answer" and later "Jesus Christ is the answer". He changes the words on the verses too. Brilliant! At least, I think so. I played it for a friend who didn't have quite so positive a reaction. She said whenever she hears the melody to "Let It Be" it seems to surface memories of her sinful past. So, for me, I think it's great. For her, not so much.