Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why wait?

"Delight yourselves in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4 NKJV)
As my wife and I close in our 5th wedding anniversary, it continues to be the desire of our hearts to be parents. I've been around the house for a couple of days recuperating from a nasty cold, with today being much better than yesterday; praise the Lord. Today I got to thinking about picking up a book on being a good father. Though I can't say I heard the Lord tell me to do so in an audible voice, I believe it's His heart that we act on our faith, even in small ways.
I think it's a measure of our faith to believe Almighty God, as Abraham did, even though we've not yet gotten to where we believe He's taking us. Some time ago I bought a CD which was recorded with the intention of gently ministering to babies and parents, especially around bed time. My thought in doing so was also in faith that the Lord would provide. Now I'm taking it even a step further. Plus, getting and reading a book on how to be a good father, even though I'm not yet a father, just makes sense. After all, you wouldn't try to become a civil engineer without having studied civil engineering, would you?

Maybe part of the Father's plan is that He's giving us time to prepare for what's to come. When we're praying for something we believe to be in His will, I think we should walk in faith, believing He will come through. And when He does we shouldn't be shocked, thinking, "Now, what am I going to do?" With hearts of thanksgiving and gratitude, we should be prepared to step forth in what He's brought us into- including parenting.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1 NAS)

1 comment:

Steve Gwilt said...

Yay Mikey! Go, guy, go! (Glad you're feeling better too)