Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Analysis...continued

When I started writing on this topic, the title was "Analysis of a Stagnant Church". But after giving it some thought, I chose to use a more positive, glass-half-full heading. Hence, I titled this series "Analysis of a Church with Opportunity for Growth". And it's true, isn't it? A stagnant church, or one that is not growing, has an opportunity. It's an opportunity to grow and move on to greater things.


As I try and wrap this up, I'm going to share a few observations and then a conclusion. Because of time constraints, this post contains only one observation. Feedback is encouraged and welcome!


Hey, where is everyone?

Our Sunday morning service begins at 10:30. It is very common for there to be only 6-10 people in attendance at 10:25. There is a bit of a rush with folks (including members of the praise and worship team) streaming in within that five minute span and then a good bunch between 10:30 and 11:00. It is unpleasant because there is a sort of nervous, unsettled energy as people rush in. As one who has had to own up to lateness and deal with it in my own life, I believe it is often a symptom of underlying issues. Lateness can signify waning enthusiasm, boredom and lack of interest. It also conveys to others that it's not important to be on time. I think that's the wrong message to be giving each other, visitors- and the Lord. Whatever the causes, I believe this is an issue we need to come to terms with. We need to understand why it is occurring and then it needs to be remedied. Without a doubt, chronic lateness is a stumbling block to growth.

2 comments:

Steve Gwilt said...

Big. Brave. Bold. Never an easy subject to tackle. I think you've got hold of one of the big questions, though ... why DO some people not respect the start of worship?

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Thanks for sharing your observations in a non-threatening, open, honest, serious manner. I think this process will benefit you and your church. I think this analysis is also helpful for evaluating my church's ministry as well. Keep it up! I look forward to seeing what challenges you identify and how your church moves to overcome them.