Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Between jobs


Almost everyone will end up in this position at least once, and most likely more than once. Yep, I'm searching for a job. Something I'm considering (and it won't happen overnight) is a career in voice over. In case you didn't know, voice over is basically voice acting, and is used in everything from radio and television ads to audio books, documentaries and telephony. Having been involved in radio for a number of years as a host and producer of my own shows, and having recorded a handful of radio and television commercials, it seemed like a natural progression to explore the field of voice over.

One thing I've found out (and I've found out lots) is that the difference between radio and voice over can be like night and day. Sure, my experience with radio has helped me some in terms of my ability to read clearly and project my voice, but I have to say I never really thought much about being a voice actor. And that is a crucial part to being good at being a voice professional. One needs to have the ability to make copy come alive by adding emphasis, changes in tone and pitch and by conveying emotion with little or no change in volume (and not rushing!). It's a humbling experience in that although I have years of radio and a bit of voice over experience, there is so much I need to learn.

I've been working with the folks at Edge Studio who have been very helpful and honest in providing an assessment of my abilities while teaching me some of the basics and sharing a wealth of great resources. As I said, making this a career will take some time, but so far I'm finding it challenging and enjoyable. With that, I see where my voice could be used for so many different things that could add value to people's lives.

What will my next job be? Honestly, I haven't the slightest idea! What I do know is that I am trusting in the Lord to guide me in choice-making and to give me favor where He sees fit.

No comments: