Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Love: An Historic Gathering of Jesus Music Pioneers

I know this is short notice, but I'd like to make this available to folks in the Greater Torrington (CT) area. At my church this Friday at 6:30PM we're going to check out Disc 1 of 2 of First Love: An Historic Gathering of Jesus Music Pioneers. I have not yet seen it, but I heard it's very interesting, not only from a spiritual standpoint, but from a cultural one as well. It specifically deals with artists in the "hippie movement" of the late 60's and early 70's. Because the entire program is about 3 1/2 hours in length, Disc 2 will be shown at a later date. For a more detailed description of the film, click HERE.

If you're interested in checking it out, I'd love to see you. I'm sure there will be coffee and stuff afterward.

Here are the details:

DATE:
Friday, September 11th
TIME:
6:30PM
PLACE:
First Connecticut Open Bible Standard Church, 139 New Litchfield Street, Torrington, CT

Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

Mike Roots said...

It wasn't a great turnout numbers-wise, but who wanted to and was able to come, came. Simple as that. I came away encouraged by the simple yet passionate faith of these hippie teens and twenty-somethings who were not only excited about Jesus in their lives, but excited about doing what they could to make Him known by others. I was familiar with only a two or three of the songs featured in this first half, but was moved by several of them. To me, the format seemed a bit hokey with everyone gathered together at a mountain lodge, seated in cozy chairs and sofas (and feet up), but I guess they were trying to capture the friendly, communal feel of the movement of which they were all part. The testimonies of the musicians along with footage from the late 60's to mid-70's made a strong impact. In the end, we had a lot more coffee and pastries than people, but it was a good evening for all who were there.

Mike Roots said...

BTW, Part 2 will be shown next Friday, September 18 at 7:00PM.